LISLE, Ill. (September 12, 2022) – Navistar announced the graduation of its first Uptime Academy class of nine students, as well as nine equipment donations to accredited technical schools through its TECH EmPOWERment program.
Uptime Academy presents a unique approach to technician training from 90-day pre-program dealership employment to on-the-job class assignments. Students work with multiple vehicle types, including electric and fuel cell technologies. In addition to 3,200 hours of on-the-job training, students are assigned a mentor and receive 800 hours of classroom time and lab work, a journeyman toolbox and laptop.
“The Navistar team and all partnered dealers are beyond proud to have helped launch the career of nine new technicians, providing them with valuable knowledge, mentors and hands-on experience,” said Ana Salcido, technician recruitment manager. “By offering a paid, on-the-job learning environment, we differentiated ourselves within the industry during a difficult time for technician recruitment.”
The 2022-2023 Uptime Academy class is slated to begin two more groups this month with 18 students, who are set to graduate in summer of 2023.
To further aid technician education, dealers from around the U.S. have donated equipment to local colleges and technical programs through the TECH EmPOWERment initiative. The program supplies accredited technical schools with equipment, real-world advisory counsel and employment prospects for aspiring technicians.
Recent donations by International truck dealers and Navistar include:
- State University of New York in Cobleskill, New York by Stadium International Trucks
- Texas State Technical College in Waco, Texas by Kyrish Truck Center
- Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center in Altoona, Pennsylvania by Allegheny Trucks
- Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, North Carolina by Rush Truck Centers
- Tennessee College of Applied Technology in Nashville, Tennessee by Cumberland International
- Western Technical College in La Crosse, Wisconsin by DeBauche Truck & Diesel
- Ohio Technical College in Cleveland, Ohio by Rush Truck Centers
- Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas by Navistar Corporate Engineering
- Michigan Technological University in Houghton, Michigan by Navistar Corporate Engineering
To learn more about Uptime Academy, visit www.internationaltrucks.com/support/tech-empowerment/uptime-academy.
Navistar, Inc. (“Navistar”) is a purpose-driven company, reimagining how to deliver what matters to create more cohesive relationships, build higher-performing teams and find solutions where others don’t. Based in Lisle, Illinois, Navistar or its subsidiaries and affiliates produce International® brand commercial trucks and engines, IC Bus® brand school and commercial buses, all-makes OnCommand® Connection advanced connectivity services, and Fleetrite®, ReNEWeD® and Diamond Advantage® brand aftermarket parts and includes a Brazilian manufacturer of engines and gensets, MWM Motores Diesel e Geradores. With a history of innovation dating back to 1831, Navistar has more than 14,500 employees worldwide and is part of TRATON SE, a global champion of the truck and transport services industry. Additional information is available at www.Navistar.com.
All marks are trademarks of their respective owners.
# # #